Carrots are one of the most popular roots in modern kitchen gardens. Smooth beds with openwork green leaves decorate the plots of even novice gardeners. But only those who adhere to the rules of growing carrots manage to get a crop of beautiful smooth roots.
Choice of a place for a garden bed
- Carrots should be placed in well-lit areas. Growing in the shade will lead to a significant decrease in yield and deterioration of taste. Therefore, it is necessary to allocate for carrots the territory, which is throughout the day under direct sunlight.
- In addition, it is necessary to take into account crop rotation – the order of growing crops in a particular area.
You can not plant carrots every year on the same bed or after such plants:
Ideal “predecessors” for this root crop will be:
Terms of sowing carrots
Experienced gardener know how important is the right time for sowing. This directly affects the yield of root crops. After all, the time for ripening of different varieties varies considerably. In addition, it is necessary to focus on the desired harvest time.
To get an early carrot, the so-called “bundle production”, practice podzimnie or spring sowing early ripening varieties. True, the first option is not possible in all climatic zones. In severe winters, the seeds freeze even under a thick layer of covering material. Therefore, it is better to give preference to early spring crops. They can be carried out immediately after the upper layer of the soil warms up.
Reflex cooling will negatively affect the level of “keeping quality” of root crops and can provoke the active formation of flower arrows. But for beam products, these flaws are not a hindrance. That is why early-ripening varieties can be sown much earlier.
Carrot varieties with a long maturation period are excellent for storage. But their sowing is recommended to be carried out after stable heat is established (+15 … +18 ° С).
Resent Post: How to Start and Run a Successful Juicing Business
Preparation and sowing of seeds
Pre-sowing preparation can immediately identify “defective” seeds and accelerate germination. Therefore, it is not necessary to neglect this stage. Moreover, the procedure does not require any effort.
- First, seeds should be poured with warm water. In 10 hours all the “illiquid” will come up.
- To accelerate the germination for a week or even more, you need to perform another simple manipulation. Seeds are placed on a wet piece of cloth or cotton wool and soak for several days. The air temperature should vary from +20 ° C to +24 ° C. In such conditions, after three days the seeds will be pierced – fragile roots will appear.
- Before planting carrots you need to dig up the grooves and properly moisturize them. They should not be too small, so that strong winds do not spread seeds around the site. Do not make grooves too deep. Otherwise, the seeds do not germinate at all. The optimum depth of embedment varies from 2 to 3 cm. The distance between adjacent grooves is not less than 15 cm, between seeds – at least 2 cm.